I suggested and explained to her the concept of surrendering; of stating her intentions for her own life through one or more of these methods: prayer, meditation, self-hypnosis, conversations with her spiritual guides, and affirmations. She understood what I was telling her to try, but since she had never tried it before, was a little unclear on the process. I explained that there wasn't a set process for surrendering to the Universe, but laid out this type of plan below for her, and in doing so I'm laying it out for you, too:
1. Make a list of what is stressing you; be specific and detailed.
2. Also list what changes you would like to insert into your own life,as they relate to the stress list in number 1 above.
3. Decide how you want to "submit" this information to the Universe.
4. Create some type of sacred space in your home: private, clean, comfortable, and designate it as your own sacred space (there are more steps you can take to purify/sanctify a space, but just doing the above is a great start).
5. Pick a time when you can relax, uninterrupted, and can create and follow your own ritual. If you are tsk-ing the concept of performing a ritual as some heathen, unholy practice, please remember you can't be spiRITUAL without ritual!
6. Decide how you want your surrender ritual to look: simple prayer to the Higher Power of your liking, lighting candles and/or incense, meditation, self-hypnosis, reading a prepared statement out loud (or silently). Once you decide on your method ... just proceed. State your intentions (or think them silently to yourself) to the Universe, and make the statement that you are no longer going to stress it. You aren't going to beg for prayers to be answered, and you aren't going to worry about these things any longer. You are giving up in your internal fight with the things that cause you to feel anxious or sad. You are ... surrendering. And my guess is, this action is overdue because these things are probably kicking your rear end, anyway!
7. (This step is really important) TRUSTING ... that the Universe/God/Higher Power has heard and received your message, and it is no longer in your hands. Yes, you are surrendering to a Higher Power, but you are also surrendering to a Higher Process, if you will. Your job isn't to wonder how things are going to happen, or even when. Your job, at this point, is to simply TRUST and KNOW that it is time for you to stop with the self-angst, and to push forward in your life with the knowledge that you are moving in the direction that is perfect for you at this time.
8. Every time you start to let the old feelings of doubt and fear creep into your mind, push them out by reminding yourself that you surrendered your anxiety, your sadness, your negative energy to a Power that is the antithesis of all of those things. At first, it often takes a conscious effort not to slip back into old, as one of my early hypnotist teachers used to say, "stinkin' thinkin'." With diligence and practice (being positive takes practice, make no mistake about that!), you'll soon keep the negative tendencies at bay, and when the time is right ... you'll witness the Universal response to what you've surrendered. It may not be exactly what you had in mind, but there will always be good within the response; always. It takes a leap of faith to believe that the Universe is always nudging you in the direction that is right for you. And you don't have to see the finish line today. All you need to see is where each foot you put forward is stepping.
9. After you have surrendered, you don't have to "re-surrender." The Universe heard you the first time, heh. What you DO need to do after the surrendering ritual, however, is pay attention. To what? To new people, places, experiences, coincidences, anything and everything that could possibly tie into what you surrendered to the Universe. And also pay attention to the new found peaceful feeling you're probably experiencing. That's how you can most certainly know that you are onto something special ... when you feel that internal serenity after surrendering.
Where does hypnosis fit into all of this?
Your subconscious mind, when programmed in a positive manner, will help prevent you from falling into old negative patterns, by keeping you focused on what is good in your life. This is just one example. Self-hypnosis can lead you to direct conversations with your Spirit Guides, and other members of your Spiritual Entourage, as I like to call them. Self-hypnosis is an effective and beautiful tool for peaceful reflection and prayer. Your subconscious mind holds all the answers to your many questions; self-hypnosis is the key that can easily open the door to that deep, emotional mind.
I would be happy to lead you in an exercise of surrender, individually or in one of my classes. If you're interested in finding out more, read up on it online (there are countless articles), or of course, contact me. In the meantime, as always, please take it easy on yourself...